Apple Cider Roasted Chicken
For the Chicken
- 6-7 pound Roaster Chicken , giblets removed
- 4 cups Water
- 2 cups Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Sage , chopped
- 1 cup Apple Cider - for pan drippings , see directions below
- 1 cup Fat Free Chicken Broth
For the Gravy
- Pan Drippings
- 2 tbsp . Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp . Cold Water
For the Chicken
- In a medium saucepan, add water, 2 cups of apple cider, brown sugar, salt and sage. Whisk to combine and set over medium heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat and allow liquid mixture to completely cool.
- Set the chicken in a large, seal-able, food safe bag like a very large zip-lock bag or Reynolds Turkey Bags).
- Next, gently pour the brine mixture into the bag, place the bag in a large roasting pan to prevent any leaks in your refrigerator. Refrigerate for 24 hours; turning the chicken over halfway through.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain the brine mixture and discard. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of apple cider to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake the chicken for 1 1/2-2 hours or until the minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached; basting halfway through cooking time. In the meantime, prepare pan gravy.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes to absorb juices before carving.
Pan Gravy Directions
- Add the pan drippings to a saucepan over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the cornstarch and cold water and mix; then add it to the pan drippings.
- Stir until gravy thickens; approximately 3-5 minutes.
*Gravy recipe included