Baked Mozzarella Sticks
The cheesiest mozzarella sticks baked in the oven and coated in fresh parsley and bread and panko crumbs then pairs with marinara sauce for dipping. One of the easiest recipes for a quick and satisfying snack that everyone will rave about.
This insanely easy snack can be made in under an hour. In fact, most of the time is spent in the freezer to hold the cheese together to make it getting a nice brown crust easier without the cheese melting out. Making this appetizer doesn’t call for a lot of ingredients and can be popped in the oven and baked in a cinch. If you’re looking to please your friends, family or a crowd, you’ll want to make this homemade version without the all preservatives. Homemade is always better than store bought.
This warm bread has everything you will love. Ooey gooey Mozzarella cheese melted between a crusty fresh herb bread crumb and and panko crumb mixture. The sticks do get breaded with a typically egg wash and flour coat and I’d doubled that step to make them extra crispy and flavorful.
Since I’m sharing appetizers and game day food and many of us use rides to get home from games or pubs, I thought I’d let ya’ll know something that happened a few weeks ago.
I know everyone raves about Uber and it’s been here in New Orleans for about 6 months now. Anyway, Halloween night a group of us girls go out for a night on the town and decide to take an Uber for the first time. Not because we did not have another way of transportation because there were cabs all around us. Our thought was that we wanted to support someone in the community where this may be their only job.
We got an estimate of $60 (which included a surcharge because it’s Halloween). Our ride is 20 minutes and the guy takes a 10 minute detour on a wrong turn. No biggie—or so we thought (but we were charge $70 for that wrong turn)! As we’re walking inside we look at the bill on the phone and it’s a whopping $162 for a 20 minute ride! I almost died, ya’ll! A cab would of been like $50 tops! An estimate of $60, I expected maybe $70 tops but an extra $100 is uncalled for. Uber, you suck!
After doing some research, I found the most outrageous Uber bills on the internet to include a $800 tab for a 20 minute ride in Denver. Yes, I said Denver not NYC! No thank you! I will gladly be taking a cab especially since I’ve never had an issue with the service or the tab. I guess I understand how a driver can make $250,000 a year working for Uber now! Never . Again .
After a ride like that, I better be getting the Cash Cab next time.
To take this traditional recipe to the next level, add some heat to it. I love to add red pepper or red pepper flakes. Add some Italian seasoning or garlic salt if desired to really pack a big flavor in each bite. Pair it with white sauce, red sauce or any kind of homemade sauce would work.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 mozzarella string cheese pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Italian seasoning
- pepper to taste
- marinara sauce , for dipping
- Separate string cheese from package and evenly cut across the center the each. Place saran wrap/cling wrap across baking sheet and place string cheese on sheet then freeze for 20 minutes.
- Crack eggs in bowl and whisk until smooth; set aside. Pour flour in separate bowl; set aside. Mix together panko and bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, parsley and Italian seasoning in a bowl; set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Dip mozzarella in (1) flour then coat in (2) egg then (3) flour then (4) egg then (5) bread crumb mixture. Spread evenly on a prepared baking sheet with foil and a little cooking spray. Repeat process until done then lightly spray the tops with cooking spray. Place in freezer for 20-30 minutes then bake for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip over and bake for another 4-5 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce.