Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole is loaded with deliciousness and is the perfect comfort food you’ll want.
This post was sponsored by Tasteful Selections® through their partnership with Golden Sun Marketing. While I was compensated by them to write a post about Tasteful Selections Potatoes #RescuedMoments, all opinions are my own.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
Classic comfort food at its finest, this dish is made with creamy mashed potatoes, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, melted cheddar cheese and spices baked into a casserole dish and topped with bacon, green onions and parsley.
Cheesy mashed potatoes are one of my all time favorite side dishes to make for my family. We love to have them for dinner, holiday parties, birthdays, graduation, potlucks and for other special occasions. I’ve been making this recipe for years and to this day, it’s still my number one requested dish to make for family. To make a good cheesy potato casserole, you’ll have to have a good mashed potato recipe that is creamy and full of flavor. I’ve taken the classic potato bake and have taken it to a whole new level with a few secret ingredients.
Growing up I remember standing on a stool in the kitchen with my mom. She’d put a little apron on me and let me pour the ingredients in the mixer. I have fond memories of helping in the kitchen and now that I’ve grown up those are the memories I cherish the most. I love coming home for the holidays and still helping her. Cheese Mashed Potatoes are so good that you’ll find my licking the leftover on the beaters during family holidays before dinner starts. Some things never change and I’m happy for all the memories I have making dinner and enjoying it with family. Life is about spending time with your loved ones and this recipe is a lot of fun to make those rescued moments even more enjoyable.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s so easy to make and uses just a few simple ingredients that most people already have in the refrigerator.
Since dinner is all about spending time with family, the kids can help peel potatoes or they can be sliced, boiled and softly peeled after they are soft.
To make this recipe, start by boiling a pot of water on the stove top. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9 x 9 baking dish. Place peeled and sliced Tasteful Selections potatoes in pot and boil until soft, about 25 minutes. Make bacon then chop once cool; set aside.
Place in a bowl fit with a mixer and add milk, cream cheese and sour cream. Blend on medium high for a few minutes until most lumps are gone. Add spices to potatoes and mix again for a minute or two.
Fold in Parmesan cheese and about 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Pour into greased 9×9 baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bacon bits or crumbled fresh bacon. Diced green onions and place on top to garnish with. Serve hot.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- 40 ounces (1.13 kg or 2.4 pounds) Honey Gold Tasteful Selections Potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's
- 1 clove garlic minced , optional
- 2- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (or any variety), shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup bacon bits or 7-10 pieces bacon
- Green onions - Garnish
- Peel Tasteful Selections Honey Gold Potatoes and slice in half then place in boiling pot of water with a pinch of salt. Boil until soft about 25 minutes then drain water and place potatoes in a bowl fit with a mixer.
- Meanwhile, cook 7-10 strips bacon and crumble once cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With the potatoes in a bowl fit with a mixer, add butter, milk, sour cream, cream cheese and beat on medium/high for a few minutes. Add salt, pepper, Lawry's, dried parsley/fresh parsley and continue to mix until potatoes are mashed well. Fold in 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Grease a 9x9 (or any size) and pour mashed potatoes in pan. Smooth top with spatula and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Garnish top with more chopped bacon and green onions.