An easy Chinese recipe made from scratch. This delicious recipe for beef and broccoli noodles is a classic Asian stir-fry dish of beef seared and served with steamed broccoli then coated in a savory sweet sauce. I’ve turned my stovetop classic beef and broccoli stir-fry into an Instant Pot recipe with rice noodles. If you’re considering Chinese takeout, consider this Beef and Broccoli recipe because it’s better than any takeout!
This homemade Beef and Broccoli is made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and it’s my newest Chinese dinner obsession. Skip the take-out and make this made from scratch beef and broccoli recipe because it features a delicious Asian sauce that’s better than any restaurant around!
Easy Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
My friends are always asking me for Instant Pot beef recipes and pressure cooking chuck roast is quick compared to other methods. First, the beef chuck roast gets well trimmed by discarding any large fat bands. Next, it’s cut into thin strips then seared until it forms a nice golden brown crust.
Make the homemade Chinese sauce then add it to the pressure cooker with the seared beef. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Doing this adds more flavor plus, you’ll avoid the dreaded Instant Pot “burnt” notice.
Steam the broccoli and cook the rice noodles separately. My recipe includes plenty of Asian sauce. Both make a wonderful addition to this Chinese beef recipe. This recipe is great for batch cooking because you’ll have plenty of servings for dinner or meal planning.
What is Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli is a Chinese American recipe that uses thinly sliced beef cooked in hot oil on a wok and coated in a thick Chinese sauce. The beef and broccoli sauce is made with beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and rice vinegar. The sauce is thickened with corn starch and cold water slurry. This traditional Asian dish has origins from China and it has been adapted to match the American taste.
Every Asian or Chinese restaurant in the United States serves beef and broccoli on their menu. It’s a popular dinner recipe among customers. Now, you can make your own Chinese takeout from scratch at home. Not only is it cheaper than takeout, but it’s healthier to make Beef Broccoli from scratch since you can control and adapt the beef and broccoli ingredients to your liking.
What kind of beef is used to make beef and broccoli?
A variety of beef may be used such as Flank steak, beef chuck roast, beef rump roast, or steak. Flank steak is a great option, however, it can get expensive. For a more frugal meal, opt to use chuck roast or rump roast. The Instant Pot pressure cooker will yield incredibly soft and tender beef that tastes like it’s been slow cooker all day.
Where can I find Asian Stir-fry Noodles?
Most grocery stores have an “ethnic” aisle. Locate the Asian ingredients then look for packages similar to pasta. Here, you’ll find a variety of gluten-free Asian noodles made with a variety of ingredients. I like rice noodles which are naturally gluten-free. They cook quickly and sauce sticks to them well. You may find rice noodles called vermicelli rice noodles or stir-fry rice noodles.
Beef Broccoli from Scratch
This instant pot beef and broccoli noodle recipe is quick Chinese food without having to go out to eat at a restaurant. If you enjoy trying new recipes or are looking for classic favorite recipes with Asian sauce, then you’ll love making this Chinese food from scratch with just a few common pantry ingredients. It isn’t complicated and it hits the spot when you’re craving Chinese take-out.
For more Asian recipes, try my famous Garlic Sesame Chicken Lettuce Cups. These Asian lettuce cups are keto-friendly and gluten-free, too. They are perfect for meal prepping. For more heat, this Kung Pao Chicken is flavorful and delicious. For a quick dinner, make this Instant Pot Crack Chicken.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Noodles
- 3 1/2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs. broccoli
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp. cold water
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 14 ounces stir-fry rice noodles
- Trim any large fat ribbons from beef chuck roast. Cut beef into thin bite-size cubes or strips. 2. In Instant Pot ( pressure cooker ) insert, add 3 tablespoons oil. Turn Instant Pot “ON” then press “SAUTEE”. Sautee beef chunks in 3 batches over medium heat, flipping once to brown each side. Place browned beef in bowl.3. To make the Beef and Broccoli sauce, whisk together beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, minced garlic, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes. 4. Pour sauce into pressure cooker. Scrape the bottom to remove any beef pieces until clean.5. Add in remaining sauteed beef and its juices.6. Secure lid. Set the pressure valve to SEALING. Select “MANUAL” or “PRESSURE COOK”; use the arrows to cook on high-pressure 17-20 minutes. 7. Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl with 3/4 cup water. Cover top of bowl with a microwave-safe plate. Place in microwave and cook 6-7 minutes.8. In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Add in rice noodles. For thin angel hair rice noodles, cook 5-6 minutes. For thick lo-mein style noodles, cook 10 minutes or until soft. Drain water and rinse under cold water to remove starches.9. Once Instant Pot is done, Select “CANCEL”. Quick-Release (QR) steam pressure knob. Once pressure pin drops, open lid.10. In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons cold water into 3 tablespoons corn starch. Stir until smooth then add the slurry to the beef.11. Select ” SAUTEE” and stir sauce until it thickens; about 2-4 minutes. Once done, turn “OFF” device.12. Drain steamed broccoli from bowl then stir into beef sauce.13. Serve over rice noodles or rice.