- 1 Naples-style pizza dough recipe or a gluten free pizza dough recipe or your own
- flour , for dusting
- 1 Naples-style pizza sauce or use the one I have listed below and double it
- 1 lb . fresh mozzarella , thinly sliced
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil , to taste
- 2 Fresh organic tomatoes , thinly sliced or diced
For the sauce
- (may need to be doubled depending on how much sauce you like)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic , peeled and left whole
- 1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with their juice (I use San Marzano)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat with the garlic. Add the tomatoes and their juice and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for 1 hour. Cool to room temperature and puree in the blender.
- Place a pizza stone under the broiler, I like Old Stone Oven 4467 14-Inch by 16-Inch Baking Stone
- ; heat for 30 minutes.
- Working in 4 batches, dust 1 ball dough with flour. Using your fingertips, press dough into a 10? circle about ¼” thick, leaving a 1? crust around the edges. Hold dough straight up, and with fingertips circling crust, slide fingers around crust in a circular motion as you would turn a steering wheel until dough in the center is stretched to about ?” thick; transfer to a flour-dusted pizza peel.
- Spread ½ cup sauce over dough, and distribute a quarter each of the cheese and basil leaves. Spread thin tomato slices and drizzle with olive oil. Slide pizza onto stone; broil until cheese melts and crust is puffed and charred in spots, 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.