Fresh corn kernels charred over fire and slathered in a cilantro lime cream sauce with feta cheese, onions and seasoning. Serve as a side to any summer dish.
It’s the start of vacation for me and I’m heading up to our family cottage in Crandon, Wisconsin. It’s a little old town in northern woods of Wisconsin surrounded by fresh lakes, national forests and plenty of hiking trails. It’s been a family tradition to head “up north” every year but since I moved to the south a few years ago, I try to make it up at least every other year.
Spending the week at the family cottage means boats rides, kayaking, swimming and of course a little tanning. At night we have bon fires by the lake and by day we do a little shopping in town or hike the trails near by.
Of course, the best part is being around family and officially unplugging from social media. We’ll spend the days down by the lake and the evenings cooking a family dinner.
In the next few weeks I’ll be booking a trip to Mexico to be a bridesmaid in my sister’s wedding next February. Matt and I will spend the week there with family and a few close family friends. This trip back home is also to dress shop with my sister.
A good majority of the time will be spent on the beach suntanning and snorkeling. During the day, I want to venture out to a few of the street markets to shop and try as much street food as humanly possible!
My hope is to come back home with a desire to create new dishes around the ones in Mexico. I can’t wait to absorb as much culture as possible.
Have you been to Mexico? What are the must sees in Riviera Maya and Cancun?
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 6 ears fresh corn, husks and corn kernels removed (about 4 cups) or 4 1/2 cups frozen corn (not thawed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 medium white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 springs green onions, diced
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Feta or Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Removed corn husks, discard. In a large bowl, place fresh corn stalk vertically. Using a knife, shave the corn kernels from top to bottom. You can also hold the corn stalk and shave it in your hand and have the kernels land in the bowl below. The stalk is hard below the kernels and you won't want to get too much of that in the bowl. This is pretty easy if you've never done it before.Heat oil in skillet oven medium high heat. Add fresh corn kernels or frozen corn kernels to skillet. Toss every 2 minutes or until the corn is well charred all over (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; set aside. In a large bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, salt, pepper, jalapeno, diced onion, lime juice, and garlic. Stir to combine well.Pour corn into large bowl and toss with wet ingredients. Carefully stir in crumbled fete or Cotija cheese.