Red Velvet Cupcakes
A delicious red velvet cupcake recipe that use buttermilk and includes cream cheese frosting.
- Makes 24 Cupcakes
For the cake
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp . cocoa powder
- 1 tsp . salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp . (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 tsp . distilled white vinegar
- 8 oz . cream cheese
- 5 tbsp . unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar , sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl fitted with a mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners.
- Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- In a medium bowl fitted with an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl and beat until smooth.
- Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
- Store cupcakes in an air tight container to keep fresh. Good up to a week.