Tandoori chicken is a popular Indian dish consisting of roasted or grilled chicken prepared with spices and yogurt. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and seasoned with the spice mixture tandoori masala. If you have never been to an India restaurant or want to make it at home, this is the recipe for you. Hot spices give the chicken the red hue. If spicy food is not your thing, turmeric powder is both mild and brightly colored as is paprika (sweet red pepper powder). Tandoori chicken is traditionally prepared on a grill. However, gas and electric ovens can get the job done too. The spice blend called garam masala is available at most supermarkets.
This recipe is for easy preparation, mild tandoori chicken – Garam masala spiced yogurt marinaded chicken. Serve with fresh salad and Naan bread.
- 8 chicken wings
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt , divided
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 clove garlic , peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil , plus more for baking sheet
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/2 tart green apple , such as Granny Smith, grated - with yogurt for dipping
- pinch of red coloring or saffron (optional to color)
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup yogurt, spices, tomato paste, ginger, minced garlic, oil, and salt, coloring (if using) and mix. Prepare chicken wings by washing under cold water and pat dry. Slit each chicken wing on the underside above and below the joints then add to yogurt mixture. Marinate at least 30 minutes or refrigerated up to 8 hours. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat broiler with rack 8 inches from heating element. Rub oil on a rimmed baking sheet and add chicken wings in a single layer, with undersides facing up. Broil until golden and cooked through, 16 to 18 minutes total, flipping once halfway through. Remove from oven and brush with chutney. Stir grated apple into remaining cup yogurt and serve alongside wings, for dipping.
image credit by kwestiasmaku Recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart