For the Yellow Cake
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 3 6-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Cut parchment paper circles to cover bottom of cake pans then spray again with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl fit with paddle attachment, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly beat in chunks of shortening and butter. Turn mixer to medium and beat until mixture has small crumbs.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, and butter extract.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly pour mixture into dry ingredients. Turn mixer to medium and beat until incorporated; about 1 minute. Whip down sides of bowl with a spatula and stir to mix.
6. Evenly pour cake batter into the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake in oven 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow cakes to cool then remove from cake pans and place on cooling rack. Level cake tops with a long serrated knife; removing dome tops. Knife should be as parallel as possible. For the Frosting
1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and mascarpone until light and fluffy. Then add the salt, almond extract, and confectioners sugar and mix to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, whip together the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Make sure not to over mix because it will become grainy and change the texture and appearance of your frosting.
3. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated.
4. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate and take out 10 minutes to bring to room temperature before applying to the cake.Cake Assembly
1. Place cake on cake board. This will make it easy to chill in the refrigerator instead of making room for an entire cake stand.
2. Pipe or spread a thin layer of frosting on top of cake layer. Add sliced strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
3. Place second cake on top then frost and add berries.
4. Add third cake layer on top and frost. Roughly spread frosting all over cake to create crumb coating. Refrigerate cake; 30 minutes.
5. Frost cake with frosting, using a cake spatula to evenly spread frosting.
6. Pipe frosting around cake top with a large cake tip.
7. Garnish entire cake with sliced almonds, leaving the top of cake untouched.
8. In a small bowl, microwave apricot jam, and water. Stir mixture until smooth then glaze berries with a pastry brush. Place on top of cake.
9. Refrigerate until serving.