For the filling:
- 8 apples - peeled , cored and sliced (half Granny Smith, half Macintosh)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter – chilled and sliced
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2-1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg , allspice or apple pie spice - optional
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from a lemon
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon - optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter , cold & cubed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water
- Egg - lightly beaten for egg wash
- Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a food processor combine the flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon and pulse. Add in the butter and slowly gradually add the ice water. Pulse until dough just comes together. Don’t overwork the dough or it will make a tough crust.
- Remove the dough from processor. Cut into two equal sections. Pat sections into discs and wrap in plastic wrap and place into refrigerator. Chill for 1 hour. (can be frozen for future use)
- Combine lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar & flour in a small mixing bowl; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the peeled and sliced apples and fresh lemon juice. Toss together. Sprinkle spice and flour mixture over apples. Toss to coat.
- Remove one chilled disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface, large enough to cover your pie pan. Shape to fit, cutting off any excess.
- Spoon apple mixture into pie pan and add sliced butter to the top of the mixture. Remove second dough disk from refrigerator. Dust flat surface with flour and roll out dough large enough to fit the top of your pie with an overhang. Cover pie with remaining dough on top of apple mixture and crimp edges to seal. With a knife, add four slits or more to your pie crust. Brush egg wash onto top of dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Place onto a baking tray into preheated oven for approximately 50 minutes or until golden brown & bubbly. Allow pie to rest until cool before slicing for about an hour.
- Seal and refrigerate any uneaten portions.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!