A classic chicken recipe that has a crispy seasoned bread crust
Baked NOT Fried
Baked corn flakes crispy chicken is my go to chicken recipe when I’m craving KFC but not the calories!
This chicken recipe is baked not fried. It is a much healthier alternative than the traditional deep fried chicken that comes with a crispy breaded crust.
Because this recipe can be prepared at home it can easily be adapted to customize the taste. Besides plain grilled chicken breasts, spicy chicken is growing on me — that’s right, I like to add fresh chili powder that is stored over summer from my garden – if not fresh. I also love that paprika and Dijon mustard go great with this recipe.
This recipe really does not need any spices to taste great so for that reason all the hot spices and extras will be optional in the recipe and are noted as such. Also, I used drumsticks but this recipe can be made with chicken thighs, breasts, tenders, strips or made into breaded nuggets. Note that cooking time may vary depended on how thick the meat is. It is recommended that poultry reach an internal cooking temperature of 165 degrees F to be safe to consume.
Here is a recipe that my grandmother used to bake on Sunday’s.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour (for drumsticks)
Baked Corn Flakes Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken pieces , (without or with skin) rinsed and dried
- 4-5 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes cereal , crushed (it should be about 4 to 5 cups after crushing)
- ½ cup ** Italian style bread crumbs (I used Contadina) to add additional flavor
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ** paprika
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons ** Dijon Mustard
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter , melted
- 2 lemons , slice ** to garnish
- Fresh thyme ** to garnish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ** Indicates these ingredients can be optional to add flavor- listed above and more below
- All extra optional Flavorings
- ** ½ tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- ** ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ** 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ** 1-2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (added to the corn flake mixture)
- ** ½ cup pecans , chopped and crushed (added to the corn flake mixture)
- Place corn flakes in a bowl or sealed bag and crush with hand. Measure and combine crushed corn flakes cereal and optional seasoned bread crumbs in bowl large enough to bread chicken 1 at a time. Add pecans if desired and toss to mix. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg and milk slightly. Add flour, salt, pepper, mustard and any optional flavorings. Mix until smooth. **If adding spicy ingredients, omit the egg until all ingredients are mixed. Use a spoon to taste batter to liking, than add egg and mix to combine.
- Open chicken package and using a knife remove any undesired skin or fat. Wash all pieces under water and dry with paper towel. Next, dip chicken in batter. Then coat with cereal mixture. Place in single layer, in shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray or foil lined. Drizzle with melted margarine.
- Bake at 350° F about 1 hour or until chicken is tender, no longer pink and juices run clear. For food safety, internal temperature of the chicken should reach at least 165 degrees F. Do not turn chicken while baking. Cover with foil only if needed to keep larger chicken pieces from having burnt crust while baking longer Serve hot.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!
All extra optional Flavorings
** ½ tablespoon hot pepper sauce
** ½ tablespoon garlic powder
** 1 teaspoon chili powder
** 1-2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (added to the corn flake mixture)
** ½ cup pecans, chopped and crushed (added to the corn flake mixture)
* Cooking time may vary – this recipe is intended for cooking chicken drumsticks. Monitor chicken temperature is using a different type of chicken pieces.
* Chicken can keep as leftovers in refrigorate up to about 4 days. Wrap in foil or air tight container.
Image credit: gimmesomeoven.com