Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Makes 24 Cupcakes
For the cake
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp . cocoa powder
- 1 tsp . salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp . (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 tsp . distilled white vinegar
- 8 oz . cream cheese
- 5 tbsp . unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar , sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl fitted with a mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners.
- Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- In a medium bowl fitted with an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl and beat until smooth.
- Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
- Store cupcakes in an air tight container to keep fresh. Good up to a week.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!