Soft Shortbread Cookies are “melting moments” which is a biscuit type cookie in the UK. They are expected to be crunchy and crumbly but melt in your mouth at the same time.
Soft Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch (USA) (corn flour in the UK)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar , sifted
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- Using a bowl fitted with a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract and slowly add the flour mixture and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Cover with saran wrap and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour or until firm.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of oven.
- When dough is firm take out of the refrigerator, uncover and form into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 12 - 14 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to brown. Baking time may vary depending on altitude so be sure not to burn the cookies.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line another baking pan or tray with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle about half of the confectioners powdered sugar onto the bottom of the pan and then place the slightly cooled cookies on top of the sugar. Put the remaining sugar in a fine strainer or sieve and then sprinkle the tops of the cookies or just roll the cookies in the sugar.
These cookies store very well. Place in an airtight container between sheets of wax paper and they will keep a couple of weeks.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!