Why cupcakes? Why not cupcakes. I love cupcakes and I have not met a person who does not like them.
Cupcakes are probably one of my favorite desserts to make. They are fast to make, for the most part. They are
versatile. The batter can be something simple like vanilla with dozens of options of frosting. Of course the frosting
can have dozens of options of delicious add ins or decorative sugary sweets.
Going to a baby shower? Combine a few drops of pink or blue food coloring and sugar pearls. This is why I love making
cupcakes and perhaps this is why I find an occasion to bake them all the time. And don’t get me started on cupcake liners—it’s like picking an outfit out—for the cupcake!
Here is my favorite chocolate coconut cupcake recipe
- For the Chocolate Cake
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (, semi-sweet)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- **For Coconut Cream Frosting
- 8 ox cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter (, softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract (( Extract Imitation Coconut 1-oz))
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners or mini cupcake liners.
- Sift cake mix, flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine oil, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and both extracts and whisk until combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix for about a minute or two JUST until combined.
- Fold in almonds and mini chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full for normal cupcakes or half way for mini cupcakes.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Bake mini cupcakes 8-12 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- For the Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes. Add vanilla and coconut extract. If you want to make it coconut free, omit the extract and skip shredded coconut.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Scrape down bowl as needed.
- Pipe coconut cream on cooled cupcakes or apply using a butter knife.
- Toast coconut in pan or oven and roll in shredded coconut or sprinkle the top to garnish.
- **Store in an air tight container for up to a week.
Recipe slightly adapted from YourCupOfCake Image Credit: Sherilyn via Wholepromise