Cheesy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Creamy broccoli cheddar soup seasoned to perfection.
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 -8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1-2 gloves garlic , minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour + 1 tablespoon
- 3 cups half & half
- 3 cups broth/stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
- 3-4 carrots , thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups broccoli , chopped
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese , shredded
Thinly chop carrots and quarter broccoli florets.
In a large stockpot set over over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and add chopped onions then brown for about 4 minutes and add minced garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove onions; set aside. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the pot then add flour and stir. Whisk or mix the mixture together constantly for about 5 minutes, until a nice brown forms. This step is important because it will thicken the soup.
Slowly add in half & half, about 1 cup at a time then add in broth/stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring well between adding to dissolve any chunks. Stir in chopped carrots, broccoli, garlic/onion mixture and seasoning and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Once vegetables are soft, stir in shredded cheese and allow to melt before serving in a bowl. Serve with french bread.