Creamy Spinach Tortellini with Meatballs
A quick 30-minute pasta dish made with pan seared garlic with a rich and flavorful creamy onion sauce with spinach, meatballs and tortellini pasta. Pan tossed with parmesan cheese and herbs to give a robust Tuscan flavor. A truly simple dish to make for dinner or to serve for a dinner party with a glass of wine. This recipe will become a family favorite.
- 12 meatballs
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 10.5 ounce cream of onion condensed soup (see notes for alternative)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini refrigerated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
Cook meatballs according to package directions. Drain on paper towel when done.Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil) in large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 3 minutes.Pour in stock and condensed onion soup. Whisk until dissolved.Add parsley, basil, black pepper, Italian seasoning and, red pepper flakes. Stir in 2 cup water and 1 cup half & half. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cold water and flour. Stir to dissolve. Add to pot. Turn stove top to medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.Stir in finely grated parmesan cheese. Cook 3 minutes.Add refrigerated cheese tortellini. Cook 3 minutes. Stir in baby spinach. Cook 3 minutes.Add salt to taste.
Stir in cooked meatballs.
- Substitutions for cream of onion include: Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken
- Serve with french bread.
- Shredded chicken can be used in place of meatballs.
- This dish can be made vegetarian without meat.