Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin tin pan with paper cups; set aside.
2. In a bowl fit with paddle attachment, whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly beat in chunks of shortening and butter. Turn mixer to medium and beat until mixture has small crumbs.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, maple flavoring, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly pour mixture into dry ingredients. Turn mixer to medium and beat until incorporated; about 1 minute. Whip down sides of bowl with a spatula and stir to mix.
6. Spoon 2 1/2 tablespoons cake batter into each cupcake. Bake in oven for 27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool.
To make the frosting
1. Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a bowl fit with a mixer, beat butter, powdered confectioner's sugar, salt, and maple flavoring. Once smooth, turn mixer up to medium and beat in chunks of cream cheese and shortening. Mix frosting until smooth.
2. Fill pastry bag with a cupcake tip and frost each cupcake. Frosting may need to be chilled in pastry bag to create same design as photos. Also, I used a Russian Ball Tip to frost each cupcake. See notes on where to buy, otherwise, any cupcake tip will do.
3. To make bacon, cook according to package directions or to make in the oven heat to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spread bacon evenly on sheets without them touching. Bake for about 20 minutes or until bacon is golden brown. Transfer bacon to paper towel then finely chop.
4. Add chopped bacon to the top of the cupcake and around the bottom frosting. Drizzle maple syrup over each cupcake if desired.
5. Cupcakes need to be chilled until 30 minutes before serving.