Fresh blueberries, maple syrup, and walnuts bring classic overnight oats front and center in an easy to follow creamy breakfast morning dish.
Overnight oats are a no-cook method to making oatmeal. While traditional breakfast oatmeal can be heated in the microwave or on the stovetop, rolled oats soak up liquid while sitting in the refrigerator.
What kind of oats do I need to make overnight oats?
Old-fashioned rolled oats are typically used to make overnight oats. Avoid using quick cooking oats or instant oats as they will turn to mush.
How to Make Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Mix rolled oats and milk together.
- Stir in cinnamon, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Stir in blueberries, brown sugar, walnuts, and maple syrup.
- Serve chilled or warm.
Blueberry Muffin Overnight Oats Ingredients
- OATS: Plain old-fashioned rolled oats and not quick or instant oats. Quaker also carries an overnight oats version as well that is suitable for making the recipe.
- MILK: Almond milk, cashew milk, half & half, heavy cream, coconut milk, oat milk or cow’s milk.
- SWEETENER: Overnight oats are sweet enough as is, however maple syrup is my favorite choice of sweetener, especially for a dessert like breakfast. Other sweeteners, such as coconut sugar, brown sugar, and honey work as well.
- TOPPINGS: Fresh fruit and nuts like blueberries and walnuts or pecans add delicious texture. Add the toppings in the next morning.
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- flax seeds
- sunflower seeds
- chocolate chips
- Greek yogurt
- dried fruits
- crunchy granola
- Fruit: fresh or frozen such as blueberries, raspberries, peaches, or bananas
- Protein: nut butters such as almond butter, peanut butter, cookie butter
- Nuts: pinenuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts
Overnight Oats Ratio
An equal ratio of oats to milk works best. For a thick and tangy oat texture with added protein, replace some milk with Greek yogurt.
OVERNIGHT OATS TIPS AND QUESTIONS
Do I serve overnight oats cold or warm? They are best served chilled from the refrigerator and make a tasty breakfast option during summer months. If you prefer it warm, simply heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How long do the oats keep? Typically 4-5 days. Make a batch at the beginning of the week then serve all week long.
Can I make this with gluten-free oats? Yes.
What is the consistency of overnight oats? The oats have a thick and creamy, pudding like consistency.
Can I use frozen fruit? Yes. Most frozen fruit will defrost perfectly in the refrigerator. However, for larger fruits, be sure to slice before refrigerating.
Refrigerate your overnight oats and stir in your topping, such as fruits and nuts, right before serving.
Blueberry Muffin Overnight Oats
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats or overnight oats
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar extra to garnish
- few pinch of salt
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup walnuts
- maple syrup optional to taste
- Stir together oats, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a few pinches of salt.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir in blueberries, walnuts, and maple syrup.
- Serve cold or simply warm in microwave.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it’s accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You’ll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!