My friend was having a poker party recently that I was helping set up. When I saw the food that he was serving, I thought he could use some variety to wow his friends. I immediately knew what I wanted to cook. The apricot meatballs are a great appetizer! I served it with french bread, cheese and wine. Within 20 minutes the meatballs were gone and the guests were asking for a recipe.
This recipe is a must try if you are on the run like me and only have 30 minutes to bake. The best part is that they sit in a slow cooker before being served.
- + 1 lb. ground beef (96% lean)
- + 1/4 c. seasoned dry bread crumbs
- + 2 egg whites or 1 egg , beaten
- + 2 Tbsp. water
- + 1/4 tsp. salt
- + 1/8 tsp. pepper
- + 3/4 c. apricot preserves
- + 3/4 c. barbecue sauce
- + 2 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1. Heat oven to 400°F. Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg whites, water, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into thirty-six 1-1/4-in. meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400°F oven 15-17 min.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat preserves, barbecue sauce and mustard in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-5 min., stirring occasionally or until sauce thickens slightly.
- 3. Add cooked meatballs and continue to cook 2-3 min. or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve or keep warm in slow cooker (see tip below).
- * To keep meatballs warm, place in a 2-1/2 qt. slow cooker set on Low. Keep covered to maintain heat. Meatballs can be held up to 2-1/2 hrs., stirring occasionally.