Easy, 10-minute pretzel kisses made with pretzel snaps, chocolate hugs and kisses, and M&Ms. If you’re looking for a quick Christmas dessert to share for the holiday season, then you’ll want to make this sweet and salty bite-size festive holiday dessert.
Christmas Eve is in 3 weeks, but who’s counting?! It’s been a busy past few weeks in the kitchen. I’ve been baking batch after batch of holiday Christmas cookie recipes and I’ve been dreaming about making other Christmas desserts to share.
Pretzel Hugs are made with chocolate kisses and they couldn’t be any easier to make. This year, I picked up a few new chocolate kiss varieties from the grocery stores and tried them in this super easy Christmas dessert recipe.
Chocolate pretzel treats are nothing new. In fact, this time of year, you’ll find pretzel rods dipped in chocolate and sprinkles. I know a lot of gourmet chocolatier sell their version of chocolate covered pretzels but it’s so easy to make them at home without spending a small fortune.
My aunt first turned me onto these pretzel kisses back when I was in high school. Its been a tradition to include them in our annual Christmas cookie tray every year since. She got the recipe out of a church cookbook so we’re not really sure where this recipe originated from but our family loves it to this day. I’ll be shipping this batch home to family and friends over the holiday season.
The Christmas season is my absolute favorite time to bake. I’m always amazed and blown away when I’m given holiday desserts that I’ve never heard of before. There are millions and millions of Christmas recipes in cookbooks, magazines, blogs, and on the internet. It’s just always fun to see what friends and family bake during the holidays. Plus, it’s always fun to do a cookie swap with friends or church type potlucks this time of year. I never tire of Christmas cookies because they just make me incredibly happy.
This Christmas candy recipe couldn’t be any easier to make. It starts with square pretzels and Hersey kisses. Once the chocolate is warmed in the oven, a chocolate M&M is placed on top. This step allows the chocolate to deflate and bind to the pretzel.
Since Hersey came out with new chocolate kiss varieties, I tried a few in this recipe. My favorite is the Hersey Kiss, Cherry Cordial. It’s flavorful, sweet, and tastes amazing with salty pretzels. If you have the opportunity to try new flavors, I highly recommend the mint kisses, peppermint kisses, and cherry cordial kisses. Be sure to read my notes in the recipe card to adjust baking time for the stuffed kisses.
Pretzel Hugs are an easy Christmas snack to make in a pinch. Just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes of your time. Skip the gourmet chocolate dipped pretzel rods and make your own Christmas pretzel shapes with mini chocolate kisses and candy. One bite of these chocolate pretzel hugs and you won’t be able to stop eating them.
For more Christmas recipes, visit my Christmas section on Swanky Recipes.
Easy Christmas Pretzel Hugs
- 2 (8.5) ounce bags ( 108 pieces total) chocolate hugs (SEE NOTES FOR CHOCOLATE VARIETIES )
- 1 bag pretzel snaps (don't use butter snap flavored)
- 1 large bag red and green M&M candies
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.Unwrap chocolate hugs or chocolate kiss varieties.Line baking sheet with pretzel snaps in even rows.Top pretzel snaps with a chocolate candy in the center.Bake in oven 5-6 minutes. Candy should still hold its shape. Take sheet pan out and test a kiss by placing an M&M in the center. If chocolate hug easily flattens, they are done. If the chocolate hug doesn't flatten, bake at 30-second intervals but do not over bake. Place a chocolate M&M in center of chocolate hugs. Allow chocolate to set until firm then store in an airtight container. * If using chocolate stuffed kisses with a filling, see notes.
- This recipe can easily be halved - Just use 1 (8.5 oz.) bag of chocolate kisses/hugs and pretzels. Yield = 54 pieces
- For this recipe, I used Hershey's Chocolate Hugs - These are the chocolate kisses with milk chocolate hugged by white creme.
- NOTE - the stuffed kisses, such as the chocolate cherry cordial kisses, and marshmallow cream kisses won't flatten like the non-stuffed kisses. If you do decide to use them, still melt them to the pretzel then immediately cover with sprinkles once out of the oven. Of course, the stuffed kisses are delicious but be aware they don't flatten like the hugs in this photo due to the filling. The stuffed kisses may just need additional time baking to allow the filling to soften.
- Other Hershey kiss candies I like to use include the hugs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, mint, and peppermint.