Easy Korean Chicken Lettuce Wraps. A flavorful Asian Korean sauce sauteed with ground chicken and wrapped in green leaf lettuce. These low-carb Asian chicken cups are quick to make and perfect to serve as an appetizer or main dish.
This homemade lettuce wrap version is inspired by a combination of PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps and the famous Korean Fried Chicken dish. It’s now made with a tastier Korean sauce for better flavor. They are so easy to make and can be ready in 25 minutes!
WHAT IS KOREAN CHICKEN
Korean Fried Chicken has been taking over the food scene for some time now. Traditionally, Korean Chicken is wet battered chicken wings double fried in oil. It’s then coated in a Korean sauce. Korean Fried Chicken is intensely flavorful. Today, it’s served throughout Korean restaurants in the United States.
The Korean sauce I use to make Korean Chicken uses a combination of Korean chili paste that’s called Gochujang. If you can’t find Gochujang chili paste in the grocery store, Walmart carries a delicious brand called Momofuku
Ssäm Korean Chili Sauce. Both varieties will work in this recipe. The Korean chili paste/sauce is combined with other traditional Asian flavors to enhance the flavor. I whisk it together with soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and minced garlic. If you cannot find the Korean sauce in any stores, try my Garlic Sesame Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups.
LOW-CARB CHICKEN WRAPS
A healthier version of classic Korean Fried Chicken, these Korean Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a great source of protein. I use ground chicken for an easy way to make a quick healthy dinner. These healthy wraps with chicken are a great addition to a healthy diet.
KETO WRAP ALTERNATIVE
To make this recipe even healthier, A few readers have suggested using sugar-free maple syrup in place of the honey and granulated sugar in this recipe. Replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos (found in the soy sauce aisle) to keep these keto chicken lettuce wraps on track.
Meal prep these healthy chicken wraps ahead of time and pack the ground chicken next to paper towel wrapped lettuce. I like to make a double batch of chicken lettuce wraps on Sunday then portion it out for lunch throughout the week.
HOW TO PREPARE ASIAN LETTUCE WRAPS
For a taste of PF Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps, try my low-carb Asian Lettuce Cups. The key to creating a savory lettuce wrap starts by combining Korean chili paste with traditional Asian flavors like soy sauce and honey. Ground chicken works best for this recipe, but I have made it dozens of times with ground turkey, too. Once the ground meat is cooked and combined with the garlic sesame Korean sauce it cooks down, thickens, and coats the ground chicken.
Serve the low-carb, low-sugar Korean Chicken on a bibe of butter lettuce or green leaf lettuce. Top it with green onions, sesame seeds, and serrano peppers for added spice.
Korean Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground chicken (use ground turkey if needed)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Korean chili paste called Gochujang OR Momofuku Ssäm Korean Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (may use low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Serrano pepper, diced (optional to add spice)
- 1 head green lettuce OR butter lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, to garnish
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- Carefully, tear lettuce leaves at the bottom of the root. Rinse under water then allow to completely dry. 2. In a large rimmed skillet set over medium heat, cook ground chicken. Break ground chicken up into little pieces using a spatula. Cook until no longer pink and all the liquid has cooked off; about 6-9 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, Korean chili sauce, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and granulated sugar. 4. Pour Korean sauce mixture into skillet. Toss mixture together until chicken takes on the color of the sauce. Skillet should come to a simmer, cook until most of the liquid is thick and absorbed by the chicken. 5. Spoon lettuce cups with chicken. Garnish with sliced of Serrano pepper, diced green onions, and sesame seeds.