The perfect Strawberry Shortcake for a delicious summer dessert. Featuring classic white cake layers with fresh strawberries and whipping cream. This light tasting cake is great to make for spring and summer holidays like Mother’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. It’s also great for all those summer graduation parties, BBQ dinner parties, and just about every other special occasion. If you love this recipe, check out our Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake recipe that are sure to please everyone!
If you live in the south, then you know this dessert recipe is a must during those hot and humid summer months. Sit back and relax with a cold glass of iced tea and enjoy this simple and gourmet cake recipe that is sure to please!
It’s that time of year again where fresh strawberries regularly appear in our diet. That being said, I won’t complain! Strawberries make a great addition to dishes like salads, smoothies, shakes, pies, cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, Strawberry Dessert Bars, just to name a few. They can jazz up any old dish and bring flavor. In fact, if you like strawberries, this Strawberry Poke Cake is a must!
With all the extra strawberries from the farmer’s market, I’ve been on a strawberry baking spree these past few weeks. It’s no wonder this is my favorite season and for a good reason! No matter how many strawberries I have in the fridge, I keep coming home with more and using them in recipes.
Strawberries make a great addition to cakes. With the arrival of summer comes fresh strawberry picking. If you’re anything like me and gather family and friends up to go strawberry picking, this recipe is a great way to use up any extra strawberries you may have after making jam, canning and salads.
If you’re looking for more reasons to eat strawberries, here are just a few. Strawberries boost immunity, fight wrinkles, fight bad cholesterol, reduce inflammation, regulate blood pressure, aid in weight management and may help to prevent cancer.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 16 ounces Whipped cream topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 qts fresh or frozen strawberries (, sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 11-inch baking pan with foil/parchment paper and grease; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk; set aside.
- In a bowl fit with a mixer, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly alternate between adding dry ingredients and milk.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Place sliced strawberries and sugar in medium saucepan on medium heat and stir gently until the sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and set aside.
- Once the cake is cool, cut the cake into 9 or 12 pieces.
- Next, cut each piece in half. Spread whipped cream in the center of each piece and spoon strawberries over the top. Place top layer of cake on top and spread whipped cream and strawberries over each piece.