The Best STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE recipe featuring a moist white layer cake filled with strawberries and whipped cream topping. An easy quintessential summer dessert cake with freshly sliced strawberries and cream.
The perfect Strawberry Shortcake for a delicious summer dessert. A classic summer cake made with plenty of strawberry flavor. This light tasting cake is great to make for spring and summer holidays like Mother’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. It’s also great for all those summer graduation parties, potlucks, served as a birthday cake, BBQ dinner parties, and just about every other special occasion. While shortcakes can traditionally be made with a biscuit cake, I like a moist white cake instead.
It’s that time of year again where fresh strawberries regularly appear in our diet. Strawberries make a great addition to dishes like salad recipes, smoothies, shakes, pies, cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, in my favorite Strawberry Dessert Bars, just to name a few.
They can jazz up any old dish and bring the flavor to their head by adding strawberries. In fact, if you like strawberries, this Strawberry Poke Cake is a must! If you love this recipe, check out our Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake recipe that is sure to please everyone!
If you live in the south, then you know this dessert recipe is a must during those hot and humid summer months. Sit back and relax with a cold glass of sweet tea and enjoy this simple and gourmet cake recipe that is sure to please!
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly mix in a little of the dry ingredients at a time, alternating with milk.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Slice strawberries and heat them on the stove with sugar.
- Cut cake in half horizontally.
- Spread on the whipped cream topping.
- Spoon strawberries on top.
- Add the top layer of the cake.
- Frost with more whipped cream and strawberries.
- Slice and serve.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS
■ STRAWBERRIES: You’ll need plenty of strawberries for this recipe. Use fresh strawberries over frozen berries. However, if the strawberry selection isn’t the best, opt to use frozen strawberries or frozen strawberries in syrup.
Typically, I make this cake when strawberries are the juiciest in spring and summer, but I have been known to make this cake for birthdays during the winter months, too.
■ WHIPPED CREAM: Can be homemade from scratch with heavy whipping cream and sugar, or store bought whipped cream topping works just as well.
■ FLOUR: Nothing fancy. All-purpose flour gives this cake a delicate enough crumb.
■ SUGAR: You’ll need 1⅓ cups of sugar to make this two layer cake.
■ EGGS: Eggs will bind the cake ingredients together and add a little richness.
■ VANILLA EXTRACT: Use quality vanilla extract for the best tasting white cake recipe. Skip imitation vanilla extract. Since it’s a white cake, you’ll want to be sure to taste quality vanilla flavor.
■ MILK: Adds moisture to the cake so the crumb isn’t dry.
■ SHORTENING: Using shortening in this recipe yields a cake that is incredible light tasting and moist. Quality butter may be substituted.
Using fresh strawberries
With all the extra strawberries from the farmer’s market, I’ve been on a strawberry baking spree these past few weeks. It’s no wonder this is my favorite season and for a good reason! No matter how many strawberries I have in the fridge, I keep coming home with more and using them in new and traditional recipes.
Strawberries make a great addition to cakes. With the arrival of summer comes fresh strawberry picking. If you’re anything like me and gather family and friends up to go strawberry picking, this recipe is a great way to use up any extra strawberries you may have after making jam, canning, and salads.
If you’re looking for more reasons to eat strawberries, here are just a few. Strawberries boost immunity, fight wrinkles, fight bad cholesterol, reduce inflammation, regulate blood pressure, aid in weight management and may help to prevent cancer.
A quicker strawberry shortcake dessert salad version . . .
This white layer cake with strawberry sauce filling takes 35 minutes to make from top to bottom. If you’re short on time but still want to enjoy this dessert, try my Strawberry Shortcake Fluff Salad. It features classic pound cake pieces with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and mini marshmallows in an easy and quick to make dessert salad.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 16 ounces Whipped cream topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 qts fresh or frozen strawberries (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 11-inch baking pan with foil/parchment paper and grease; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk; set aside.
- In a bowl fit with a mixer, cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly alternate between adding dry ingredients and milk.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Place sliced strawberries and sugar in medium saucepan on medium heat and stir gently until the sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and set aside.
- Once the cake is cool, cut the cake into 9 or 12 pieces.
- Next, cut each piece in half. Spread whipped cream in the center of each piece and spoon strawberries over the top. Place top layer of cake on top and spread whipped cream and strawberries over each piece.