The secret to moist and flavorful lemon poppy seed cake is to use yogurt. Using yogurt will give the cake good moisture. Lemon lightens and complements the rich, moist flavor of this delicate cake. This luscious, lemony cake recipe is one of my favorites. I love a cake that doesn’t demand frosting – just lemon zest and powdered sugar and it’s perfect for any occasion. This lemon poppy seed cake is summery and quick to make. It’s so full of flavor. This cake is perfect for all of those occasions because it is so simple to make and so convenient with it’s basic ingredients. A nice change from traditional lemon poppy seed muffins and loaves. This cake is incredibly moist and full of lemon flavor. The poppy seeds give a perfect crunchiness. I love the delicate texture of this cake, accented by the tangy lemon zest and the crunch of the poppy seeds. Enjoy this lemon poppy seed cake with coffee or tea or dress it up with a tall glass of champagne.
1 cup sugar
1 cup full-fat yogurt
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup olive oil
6 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
5 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease a medium/small cake pan with melted butter; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder; set aside. Combine sugar and eggs in bowl and beat until creamy. Next, add olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat to combine well. Gently pour flour mixture into wet ingredients and beat. Fold in poppy seeds and pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean with done.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons poppy seeds
- [/b]1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C).
- Beat eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Add in olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice and grated zest, beat until blended.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and gradually combine mixture with wet ingredients beating together until well combined.
- Fold in poppy seeds.
- Brush a cake pan with melted butter and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.