This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RecipeTwist #CollectiveBias
A creamy Caprese Lasagna with a basil and cheese filled center wrapped into pasta rolls and baked in Prego® Italian Pasta Sauce with extra cheese and basil then topped on homemade french bread.
Our favorite recipes have become traditions over the years. Recipes that we make over and over again for our family because they love them. They are the first recipes that we use each time the holidays come around. They are the recipes we bake for our family frequently. They are tried and true recipes that our family wants more of. There are plenty of ways to spice up those classic recipes by making the ultimate new dish with a twist and that’s exactly what we’re doing here!
Lasagna is a timeless classic our family loves and since the holidays have a lot of special meaning to us, I wanted to make something fun that we’d all remember for years to come. For years, mom always made sure the we spent the holidays together and whether I had to work or moved away to college, I always made it home in time for these special dinners mom used to make. Years later, I’m carrying on that tradition now but with a new twist. I’ve paired two of my favorite comfort food classics together and made Caprese Lasagna Boats. Everyone in our family loves them and they can be made as saucy or cheesy as desired!
The holidays are all about getting to spend time with family and this dish couldn’t be any easier to make.
When it comes to making dinner, I like to adapt family favorite recipes and create a fun, modern twist. Lasagna Rolls Up are huge and our family loves them. We almost always make garlic bread with Lasagna. For this recipe, we’ve made Caprese Lasagna Boats because it’s a fun and delicious way to pair the two together.
To make this recipe, you’ll want to cook the noodles in a boiling pot of water for about 7 minutes. I like to use a large pot filled with water and olive oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together. Mix the ricotta cheese filling in a small bowl with an egg white, both cheeses, garlic salt and pepper. Then, spread aluminum foil or parchment paper on a clean work surface and transfer the noodles and place on top. The noodles should be somewhat dry when working with and therefore a paper towel can be blotted on top to dry.
Spread two tablespoons of filling onto each noodle. Next, top each noodle with three thinly sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese and shredded fresh basil over the top.
Spread Prego® Pasta Sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Roll each noodle up and place flap side down in the dish. Top with more finely grated mozzarella cheese and basil. Also, to keep the ribbon sides from getting too crisp, spread pasta sauce on each edge before covering with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
To make the french bread, cut the loaf in half horizontally. Now, spread melted butter over the tops then spread olive oil and garlic salt. Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Top each loaf half with the Caprese Roll Ups. I was able to get 5 rolls on each half.
There is nothing I love more than warm, cheesy pasta! It’s my go to comfort food during this season and our family loves to make these fun boats.
Prego® Pasta Sauce has a comforting and authentic Italian taste American family’s love and a variety of great homemade tasting, quick and easy to make family favorite recipes with the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavor. Walmart® carries everything from traditional flavors to Alfredo sauce and more and it’s where I bought mine. The sauce is located in the soup aisle.
We love finding new saucy recipes made with Prego® Pasta Sauce. Be sure to check out more here. What are your favorite saucy recipes made with a twist?
Caprese Lasagna Boats
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese , finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes , very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil , shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese , finely grated
- Extra fresh basil to garnish , shredded
- For the French Bread
- 1 large loaf french bread
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , finely grated
- Garlic salt , to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill a large pot with water and set over high heat. Once boiling, stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and add the noodles one at a time until they are submerged. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure no sticking. Clean a large space on the counter top of line a baking sheet with foil/parchment paper. Carefully remove noodles with tongs and set on the prepared foil in a line. To prepare the filling, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg white, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic salt and black pepper then stir to combine well. Thinly slice tomatoes (30 slices); set aside. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish cooking spray.
- Using a spatula, apply 2 tablespoons of ricotta filling to each noodle. The dryer the noodles are, the easier they are to work with. If it's hard to spread, try to smooth what you can then after applying to each noodle, come back and smooth out once it drys some more. Spread 3 tomato slices over each noodle. Top noodles with 1 cup mozzarella cheese then garnish with shredded fresh basil.
- Tightly roll each noodle and place open flap side down in the baking dish. I was able to get 10 rolls into two layers. Top with Prego® Traditional Italian Pasta Sauce, mozzarella cheese and more shredded basil. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. The last 10 minutes, remove the foil.
- To make the french bread, slice the bread down the center horizontally. Melt butter and spread over french bread. Evenly spread olive oil and top with garlic salt and mozzarella cheese. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until browned. Top the french bread with the lasagna rolls. Slice and serve.