Barbecue Honey Pot Roast with Carrots
Comfort food doesn’t get any better than slow cooker barbecue roast beef. This tender and flavorful roast beef is seasoned to perfection and slow cooked for 10-12 hours in the crock pot. Pair this pot roast with baby carrots, green onions and coleslaw. Top on a bun, if desired.
Pot roast is a lot easier to make than most people think. In fact, It’s my go to recipe when I have family coming over and it’s also perfect for a weeknight dinner or holiday cookout. Finding the right selection of meat to use is as important as the sauces that go into making a tender roast. The meat must be tenderized with some cooking oil and spices over a hot stove top before being placed in a slow cooker. Tenderizing the meat this way will lock in additional flavors and spices into the meat as well as give it a nice golden brown crust that will stand out while roasting.
I love to prepare and flavor beef in a variety of ways, but roasting and grilling are among my favorite.
When I think about grilling, I love a sweet barbecue sauce or a Caribbean Jamaican Jerk seasoning. While I couldn’t get to the grill the past few weeks with all the rain we’re having, I wanted to bring those same flavors to the dinner table and I thought this Barbecue Pot Roast would be perfect. KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub compliments this savory dish entirely. In fact, KC Masterpiece® Barbecue Sauce is the perfect blend of rich tomato sauce, molasses and spices. I love to mix and match the different sauces with different proteins to make supper dishes throughout the week. While I may be a great cook, I’ll leave the marinades and seasonings to the barbecue aficionado, Dr. Rich Davis.
To make this roast, you’ll want to trim the fat from the beef and rub KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub Sweet Honey mix on the beef then place it in a hot dutch oven with some oil. Pan sear each side then return it the slow cooker. Make the sauce according to the recipe directions below and coat the top of the beef with the mixture. Add some pepper, parsley and garlic salt and any veggies then cook for 10-12 hours on low.
The roast should now just fall apart if pricked with a fork. Shred the meat and make any additional sauce with liquid from the roast.
KC Masterpiece® barbecue sauce hails from Kansas City, thought to be the barbecue capitol of the Midwest. As the number one barbecue sauce today, it still delivers an authentic taste that makes any dish an American classic.
I’ve been lucky enough to come across the new packages at the grocery store and love to use them in a variety of dishes. KC Masterpiece® sauces, marinades and seasonings are available at grocery stores, mass merchandisers and warehouse/club stores nationwide in the following sizes and approximate retail values. The availability of specific flavors may vary.
This classic comfort food pot roast is gluten free which makes it the perfect meal to serve for supper. All KC Masterpiece® barbecue sauce and marinade varieties are gluten free, except for Caribbean Jerk marinade and Honey Teriyaki marinade.
What are some of your favorite meats to use barbecue flavors on?
Barbecue Honey Pot Roast with Carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3.50 lb Boneless Beef Rump Roast
- 1 box KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub (, Sweet Honey)
- 1/2 cup cola soda
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2-3 cups of carrots
- 6 green onions (, chopped)
- Trim fat from bottom of the roast and discard. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Evenly rub 1 tablespoon KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub Sweet Honey mix on rump roast then place in hot pan. Allow each side to brown and crisp; about 5-8 minutes per side then place in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir 4 tablespoons KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub Sweet Honey and 2 cups water then add to slow cooker. Add 1/2 cup cola, 1/4 cup pomegranate to slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with black pepper, garlic salt and dried parsley.
- Cover slow cooker and roast on low heat for 10-12 hours. Add carrots the last 2 hours of cooking. Once done, add chopped green onions.
- To make a glaze for the top of the roast, combine a few tablespoons KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub Sweet Honey mix with 3/4 cup of water and spread over roast, if desired.
- Serve with a salad, coleslaw or on a bun, if desired.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KC Masterpiece. The opinions and text are all mine.