This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. All opinions are entirely my own.
Serve up a plate of cheesy potato egg bake. This puffy egg breakfast casserole is filled with bacon, fresh bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, cheddar cheese, breakfast potatoes and herbs.
Cheesy Bacon, Potato and Egg Casseroles that are savory are my go to breakfast staple when I’m making food to share with friends. It’s also the perfect breakfast for a cozy fall brunch or special holiday meal. It’s so perfect, that it’s even acceptable to eat for dinner because breakfast for dinner is still a thing, right? Whatever reason you’re breaking out the casserole dish for, you’ll want this cheesy egg bake that’s fit for a king!
Casserole dishes are wonderful to make ahead of time. Whether it’s prepping the ingredients or preparing the dish the night before, it will truly make getting out of bed much more enjoyable. Simply turn the oven on and go about the morning with family while the casserole bakes.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so make it special. My mom loves to make a classic ham and cheese bake, but for the past few years, she’s been requesting that I make this for the special occasions we celebrate together as a family. Every Christmas morning, we’d wake up to the smell of moms dish in the oven. Now, we love to prep everything for my dish the night before, including the bacon. Every good breakfast casserole has to have bacon and plenty of cheese.
Let’s talk bacon. Bacon is delicious. Bacon is warm, crispy and full of flavor. Bacon makes everything taste good. Bacon is life.
My freezer is stocked full of bacon right now and I’ll gladly gift a pint or two of custard to my neighbors before I let my beloved bacon go in an attempt to make more room in the freezer. Bacon holds a special place in my heart. It’s actually the food that broke my 9 year vegetarian diet during the college years.
What I love about applewood smoked bacon is that it can be added to hundreds of lunch, breakfast and dinner recipes. Bacon elevates otherwise ordinary food. From soup to appetizers, to sandwiches, casseroles and dinner skillet recipes, bacon adds additional flavor that makes most meals taste balanced.
A restaurant quality dish like Cheesy Bacon, Potato and Egg Casserole doesn’t get any better, folks. It truly is a big hit among our family and friends. What I love about this dish is how versatile it is. From substituting vegetables to the different ways it can be served as a meal. It’s also a good dish to do the whole weekly “meal portion” planning to.
Just promise one thing. Do not skimp on bacon and cheese, please! Seriously, you may even want to add more because it really brings that cozy breakfast atmosphere together even more. Besides, bacon and cheese marry this dish together.
Cheesy Bacon, Potato and Egg Casserole
- 16 oz applewood smoked bacon I used Jimmy Dean
- 1 green bell pepper seeds removed, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 4 green onion stalks chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups diced hash brown potatoes
- 1½ cups shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ tsp Lawry's seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp yellow mustard powder (optional)
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook bacon according to package directions. Dice once cool.
- Chop 1 green bell pepper, ½ red bell pepper, 2 Roma tomatoes, ½ jalapeno, parsley, and green onions; set aside.
- Crack 12 eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1 cup half & half or milk. Stir in ½ tsp Lawry's seasoning, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp yellow mustard powder, and ½ tsp paprika.
- To the mixing bowl, add 2 cups diced breakfast potatoes, 1 + 1/2 cups shredded (hash brown) breakfast potatoes, 1 cup cheddar cheese cubes and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese then mix well.
- Reserve half cup fresh veggies/herbs and 1/2 cup chopped bacon for garnish. Add the remaining veggies/herbs and bacon to mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining bacon, veggies, herbs and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes or until egg mixture is set in center. Cover with foil half way through baking.
- Allow casserole to slightly cool before serving.
- The casserole can be made in advance and reheated in an oven or microwave.