This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayMadeSimple #CollectiveBias
Easy Peppermint Poke Cake
If you’re looking for a fun family dessert to make this holiday season, this cake has a little bit of everything that family can help with. Little helpers can even lick the peppermint filling bowl clean because who wouldn’t want to?
Our family goes through a lot of holiday baking. We go all out and get the sprinkles, holiday chips, holiday flavors and colors and we stock up on so much of it. It doesn’t take a lot to get us together, especially when desserts are involved. We love baking for our neighbors and friends, too! You will see us bringing a plate of holiday desserts everywhere we go.
When I was growing up, poke cakes were all the rage. I remember helping my grandmother in the kitchen bake the homemade cake and usually pour some sort of jello in the holes. We’d sit around and talk all day while we waited for the cake to be done. She used to let me lick the beaters when we were done, if the process involved no eggs. It’s memories like these I will cherish forever and will hopefully be able to teach my kids some day.
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg whites; set aside. If you don’t have buttermilk, see this easy tutorial on how to make it. In a large bowl fitted with a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and continue beating. Slowly add half of the flour mixture, beating on medium. Add half of the egg mixture and the rest of the flour then the egg mixture. Continue beating the batter for about 2 minutes. Pour into a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish and bake about 25-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool before continuing.
Easy Alternative to Homemade White Cake Mix
If you don’t have the time or all the ingredients to make a homemade cake, a boxed white cake mix from the store will do. Simply bake according to directions and ingredients. Follow the recipe for the filling and whipped topping.
In a small bowl, mix pudding and milk and stir to thicken. In a microwave safe bowl, add only the red holiday morsels and heat for 1-2 minutes on powder level 4, stirring occasionally. Melt ice cream in microwave for 1-2 minutes, until liquid soft. Combine ice cream, red chocolate morsels, pudding and peppermint extract. Whisk filling batter well to combine and set aside.
Once the cake has cooled, poke holes all over the cake using a wooden spatula, baking stick or with any round handle. Pour peppermint filling into holes using a spatula or your finger to guide it. Allow the holes to fill up. It may take a minute then go back over and fill them up again until peppermint filling is gone. Use a spatula to spread liquid into holes if needed. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
To make whipped topping, combine whipped cream and powdered sugar. Beat on low to medium for 1-2 minutes. Pour topping over cake and spread it evenly with a spatula. Garnish the top of the cake with NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels.
If you’re looking for a great deal with low prices this holiday season, head over to Walmart and pick up EDY’S®/DREYER’S SLOW CHURNED® Light Ice Cream, 1.5 qts. (Limited Edition Peppermint Wonderland®) + NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels, 10 oz.
Find the ice cream in the frozen dessert section of Walmart. The NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels can either be found in the baking section or on a special end aisle display in the food section in Walmart.
Holiday entertaining is a lot of fun. Get creative this season and bake some flavorful treats the whole family can help with. For more recipes and products from NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® , click here.
Package baking ingredients are gifts to give to family. I love pairing them with other baking and kitchen necessities such as spatulas, baking sheets, pretty cupcake liners and a little book of my favorite holiday recipes. Everyone loves gifts like this. Fresh baked goods are the way to go this year. Not only will they get to use them with their family baking but they everyone gets to indulge in them this season. If you’re looking for ways to spend time with family, getting in the kitchen and baking together is a great way to make memories!
These product items are a lot of fun incorporating into baked treats. I love baking cookies with the holiday morsels as they are pretty much good with everything. I love to use the ice cream in cakes, cupcakes and holiday pies.
EDY’S®/DREYER’S SLOW CHURNED® Light Ice Cream, 1.5 qts. (Limited Edition Peppermint Wonderland®) – Celebrate the holidays and enjoy this refreshing Peppermint light ice cream with peppermint candy pieces
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels, 10 oz. – Get festive this holiday season and celebrate with red, green and brown holiday morsels. Stock up on these because it for a Limited time only!
Homemade white cake filled with a peppermint ice cream and pudding. Topped with a lush, whipped frosting and NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels.
Nestle Holiday Sweepstakes
Just in time for holiday baking, win a chance to get these prizes from Nestle.
$1,600 in Nestle Gift Baskets. 8 winners will receive a $100 Nestle gift basket and 2 winners will receive a $400 grand prize Nestle gift basket.
To enter, click the link here ——-> Nestlé Holiday Sweepstakes
Peppermint Poke Cake
- For the White Cake (*see notes*)
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk , at room temperature
- 4 extra large egg whites , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 Tablespoons (4-ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the Filling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla pudding powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Nestle Toll House Holiday Morsels , red (see notes)
- 2 1/2 cups EDY'S®/DREYER'S SLOW CHURNED® Light Ice Cream Limited Edition Peppermint Wonderland
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- For the Frosting
- 1 - 8 ounce container whipped cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels , to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- For the Cake
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until they are light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating. Add flour mixture in portions still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the rest of the milk-egg mixture, beating until the batter one. Add the last of the dry ingredients.
- Beat batter for 2 minutes to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using a fork or wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake (the cake should have plenty of poked holes).
- For the Filling
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vanilla pudding and stir until thick; set aside. In a microwave save bowl, melt RED holiday morsels for 1-2 minutes on POWER LEVEL 4, stirring ooccasionally In a microwave safe bowl, melt ice cream for 1-2 minutes until liquid then stir in melted red chocolate, vanilla pudding and peppermint extract. Pour liquid into poked holes in the cake. Use a spatula to push ice cream into holes. Use at least 2 cups of liquid then refrigerate for an hour or two.
- For the Whipped Topping
- In a medium bowl, combine whipped cream and powdered sugar and beat with a mixer for 1-2 minutes. Pour over the top of the cake and evenly spread the topping. Garnish with NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Limited Edition Holiday Morsels.
**For the filling - To get the pink color, I picked the red morsels out of the bag of green and brown.
*For the topping - Add peppermint extract to the whipped topping to give it an extra kick.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!