Homemade Peach Coffee Cake
Sweet, juicy summer peaches made into homemade peach pie filling never tasted so good! I swear, if no one was watching, I’d just eat the peach filling right out of the saucepan. Now, top it with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and it’s dessert!
But, before we do that, let’s get back to this coffee cake. If you have never made peach pie filling before, you’re missing out on the good stuff. Let’s talk pie filling for a minute. Dice a few peaches up, toss in a saucepan with water, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Simply heat it up and take in the yummy cinnamon aroma coming from your kitchen. Seriously guys, peach pie filling, it’s easy, it’s delicious and it’s best homemade with a pinch of love! If you don’t have time to make the pie filling, you most certainly can use canned peach pie filling from the grocery store.
Bake this deliciously spiced Peach Coffee Cake and enjoy it for breakfast or dessert. Sweet peaches make for a great fruit pie filling that can be used in pies, cakes and cobblers. Homemade Peach Coffee Cake doesn’t take much to bake this sweet breakfast bread.
This Homemade Peach Coffee Cake is no ordinary cake, it’s spiced to perfection with cinnamon and nutmeg and packed with lush, vanilla peach pie filling.
This decadent breakfast cake starts with a moist layer of cinnamon spiced cake and is topped with a homemade vanilla peach pie filling with a crumbled streusel topping and generously drizzled icing. I can’t think of a better way to start breakfast over the weekend. Oh, and the homemade peach pie filling is pretty delicious too, especially with a scoop of ice cream.
Homemade Peach Coffee Cake
- [b]For the Coffee Cake
- [/b]2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 c . brown sugar , packed
- 3/4 cup butter , softened
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp . cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
- [b]Peach Pie Filling
- [/b]1 can (21 oz.) Peach Pie Filling OR make your own below
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (+more to taste)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 peaches , pitted and chopped (peeling optional)
- Keep adding water until you have about 21 ounces of liquid total when done
- [b]For the Icing
- [/b]1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- [b]For the Peach Pie Filling
- [/b]If you are using pre-made, canned peach pie filling, skip this step and go to making the cake. In a large saucepan, combine water, juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Once it bubbles, cook for another 2 minutes, constantly stirring. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla then the peaches. Cool to room temperature then use right away or store in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- [b]For the Peach Coffee Cake
- [/b]Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter (will be crumbly). Take out one cup of this and save for topping.
- Mix egg yolks with cream and add to remainder of flour mixture. Add salt and baking powder and mix until very smooth.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour into greased 9X13 pan or springform pan.
- Put pie filling evenly over top of batter. Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes. Until lightly brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 10 then drizzle with vanilla icing.
- [b]For the Icing:
- [/b]Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons water and 1/3 cup powdered sugar at time, whisking in between each addition of powered sugar. Drizzle over entire cake.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cream (or milk) stir until creamy and smooth. Add more cream 1 tablespoon at a time until right consistency (runny enough to drizzle over cake).
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!