Lemon desserts and sugar cookies are my two favorite types of desserts. This luscious cookie is packed with plenty of lemon flavor. Made from scratch, this quick and easy cookie is one of my most requested summer recipes. These cookies pair nicely with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream toppings.
If you are looking for a way to make the most out of your lemons this season, use fresh lemon juice in place of extract flavors. By doing this, the cookies will have a subtle floral flavor instead of tasting like regular sugar cookies with any artificial flavor. Along with the tart flavor, we also add lemon zest for texture and citrus notes.
I use fresh lemon juice and zest instead of extracts in my recipe. The cookies are very soft and moist. The technique I use is to roll the drop dough and bake it at 350°F for about 9-11 minutes or just until the edges turn brown. I recommend greasing a baking sheet or using a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to prevent spreading.
I list two ways to make these cookies. I have a homemade version that uses fresh ingredients like fresh lemons, and butter and I have an easier version to make a quick lemon cookie recipe. I prefer the homemade version because fresh lemons are amazing, but I’ve also made the cake mix cookie version when I just didn’t have all the ingredients and was short on time.
Lemon Cookie Ingredients
☑ LEMON: I used fresh lemon juice and zest instead of extracts to get the best flavor.
☑ BUTTER: Adds flavor and moisture which results in a cookie chewy.
☑ SUGAR: I use granulated sugar in my sugar cookie recipes. Using this sugar also helps sweeten the lemon juice so it’s not tart.
☑ FLOUR: All-purpose flour.
☑ EGG: Helps bind the ingredients.
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Roll 1-inch balls of cookie dough.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 9-11 minutes.
- Mix together water and powdered sugar. Drizzle the glaze over the cookies using a spoon.
Easier Lemon Cookies – Made with a Cake Mix
Looking to make these luscious lemon cookies but don’t have the time or all of the ingredients? These Lemon Sugar Cookies can be made an alternative way and come out just as good and mix up in half the time. Using pre-made boxed cake mix is a super simple way to bake desserts ranging from this Peach Cobbler Delight to this Strawberry Shortcake Muddy Buddy recipe. A box of lemon cake mix from your grocery store will yield delicious lemon sugar cookies in just a few easy steps.
- Lemon Cake Mix, I like Pillsbury
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, place all of the ingredients together.
- Using a spoon, fold ingredients together until dough forms and everything is well incorporated.
- Grease a cookie sheet and form 1 inch round balls and flatten slightly.
- In a small bowl, roll the top of the cookie in powdered sugar.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, don’t allow to turn golden brown.
- Mix glaze together and drizzle over cooled cookies.
The ultimate soft and chewy lemon cookies are great for any occasion. You are not done with summer until you have baked a batch of these decadent and cheerful sunshine cookies. Simply add poppy seeds for extra flavor and texture.
Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies
For the Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for rolling
For the Glaze
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup powdered sugar
- For the Lemon Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop or roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in powdered sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes, or till set and crackly. After a couple minutes, remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- For the Glaze – Slowly add powdered sugar to water until a thick consistency forms. Drizzle over cookies.
Lemon Cake Mix, I like Pillsbury
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, place all of the ingredients together. Using a spoon, fold ingredients together until dough forms and everything is well incorporated.
Grease a cookie sheet and form 1 inch round balls and flatten slightly. In a small bowl, roll the top of the cookie in powdered sugar. Bake for 5-6 minutes, don’t allow to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Follow the recipe below to glaze these cookies.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it’s accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You’ll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!