M & M Sugar Cookies
Cookie fanatics rejoice! The ultimate soft and chewy cookie recipe is here with than incredible sugar cookie base and mini M & M’s! If you love delicious cookies, this cookie recipe is for you!
I’ll be the first to admit, M & M cookies are a hit or miss with me. So often, I find cookies that are hard in texture or are too dry. Then, other times, the cookies are really strong is flavor and the M & M flavor just doesn’t mix well. Hard cookies are great every once in a while but, I’m a soft and chewy kind of gal that likes the occasional glass of milk on the side to dunk cookies into. These cookies are incredibly soft and chewy. I love using a sugar cookie recipe to make soft and chewy cookies. In fact, I’ve used this sugar cookie base for these Caramel Chocolate Sugar Cookies I posted last year. You can find that recipe here. For this recipe, I did adapt the recipe by adding a little brown sugar that is traditionally used in baking with M & M’s cookies. The perfect amount of brown sugar really brings the taste of the mini chocolates out.
These M&M cookies match up to bakery style cookies. If you really want to take this cookie to the next level, whip the butter and sugar for about 8-10 minutes. Whipping the butter with a mixer will make the cookies super soft and chewy, but they already are!
M & M stuffed sugar cookies are great for birthdays, parties, holidays, teacher’s gifts and for an everyday dessert. These cookies last a long time. The dough can be frozen for up to 3 months in advance. Simply roll the dough into a “log” and wrap with plastic wrap and place in a bag. When you are ready to bake with them, simply remove the dough and allow it to thaw enough to be able to slice and bake.
The best cookies in the whole world are homemade cookies. Making cookies from scratch it easy and can be a lot of fun. Get the kids together for an afternoon of baking cookies. Let them pick the “fixings” for each cookie recipe such as chocolate chips, mini pretzels, M&M’s, peanut butter chips, caramel candies, cherries, chocolate kisses, raisins and so much more. Freeze any dough that is leftover and use it next time as a simple slice and bake.
M & M Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (, packed)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 3/4 cup mini M & M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and stir with a whisk then set aside. In a large bowl fitted with a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk/cream. Slowly add dry ingredients. Using a spatula, stir in mini M&M's. Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough and roll into balls then roll in sugar and place on cookie sheet. If you don't have a cookie scoop, form 1 inch balls then roll in sugar. Dough can be refrigerated, if desired. Bake 9 to 12 minutes in the oven. Allow to cool before removing. Allow baking sheet to completely cool before placing cookie dough on sheet to prevent spreading. If this happens, place cookie dough in fridge.