Our family loves beef as much as we do chicken in Asian inspired dishes. While it seems that my favorite Chinese food is made with chicken more often than not, I wanted to share this Beef and Broccoli recipe.
Weeknight dinners can be hectic, but I promise that this dish won’t disappoint. There is something about Asian inspired dishes that are naturally satisfying, enriching and comforting. It’s no wonder why because there are so many sauces that can be made to fit any dish for versatility.
Our family loves Chinese takeout, but we also love to make our favorite dishes in a homemade version. I’ve shared my most popular Asian inspired dishes with this Sticky Garlic Sesame Chicken, as well as this Kung Pao Chicken, but I don’t have any Chinese beef recipe to share until now.
If you find yourself ordering Beef and Broccoli at Panda Express on a busy weeknight, you’ll want to save this recipe and opt to make it instead. Not only is it super simple to make, but the swweet and salty beef sauce is seriously delicious! I could eat this all day long!
This recipe starts with steaming the broccoli in a pan with the lid and a little water. It’s a quick way to cook the broccoli while using the same pot. Next, the beef is added to the pot and cooked. The beef is sauteed until it takes on a nice caramel color from the heat.
Once it’s done cooking, a tangy and sweet Asian sauce is added to flavor and thicken the dish. Add the broccoli and toss with the sauce. Finally, top it with sesame seeds and green onions. I like to serve this dish with freshly steamed white rice.
This dish serves 5 people. However, it also makes for great leftovers. It’s easy to reheat and tastes just as good reheated as it does fresh.
If you eat Chinese takeout as often as I used to, you’ve got to try this homemade version! Not only is the Beef and Broccoli sauce the most delicious thick sticky sauce but it has so much flavor and it’s perfect for leftovers. We always make this homemade Beef and Broccoli in place of takeout-style stir-frys from our favorite Chinese resturants!
Beef and Broccoli
- 1.5 lbs broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (may use low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sriracha, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 4 green onions stalks, diced
- 1 1/2 cups rice, optional to serve
- In a large pot set over medium heat, combine broccoli with water. Place lid on top and steam for 7-10 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, cut flank steak into strips, cutting against the grain. Then cut strips into pieces; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, beef broth, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and chili oil. Whisk to combine.
- Remove broccoli once tender. Add steak strips to pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in sauce. Mix 1 tablespoon cold water and 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch; add to pot. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli and sriracha. Top with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Serve with rice.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it's accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You'll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!