Creamy marinara pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. You’ll love this easy 25-minute Mozzarella Penne Rosa Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes. Try this recipe with Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Ranch Roasted Broccoli, or Spaghetti Squash.
This homemade copycat version of pasta is inspired by Noodles and Company’s famous Penne Rosa Pasta. It’s made with a flavorful rich cream sauce that fills the pasta noodles. You’ll be making this classic vegetarian recipe over and over again for years to come!
There is something about pasta that is naturally satisfying, enriching and comforting. It’s no wonder why because pasta is the perfect dish for versatility. Cooler weather outside makes for the perfect warm tomato pasta dish served up as the best comfort food for an easy weeknight dinner meal.
Our favorite recipes always make it to the dinner table. Recipes that we make over and over again for our family because they love them. They are the first recipes that we use each time the holidays come around and are included when meal planning. They are the recipes we bake for our family frequently. They are tried and true recipes that our family wants more of.
Over time, these recipes sort of become a staple in our home. If there is one thing our family loves, it’s pasta and a side of vegetables. In our home, this is the meal that makes it to the table countless times a year.
How to Make Penne Rosa Pasta
- Saute sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Simmer marinara sauce and cream.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Fold in spinach, and basil.
- Stir in pasta.
What I love about this recipe is how little of prep time is involved. It’s as simple as sauteing a few vegetables, simmering a rich cream based marinara sauce, folding in cheese and spinach, and combining it with pasta.
This meal takes 25 minutes to make. It can be made fresh or in advance. Sometimes, I find myself making the sauce ahead of time and serve it the next day with leftover vegetables from the night before.
Penne Rosa Pasta Ingredients
- SUN-DRIED TOMATOES: I use sun-dried tomatoes in oil. Sauteing them in a skillet helps to bring the flavor front and center.
- MARINARA SAUCE: Use a good quality marinara sauce from a brand you like.
- CREAM: I use heavy cream.
- CHEESE: Grate a block of mozzarella cheese for best results.
- SPINACH: Cooks down perfectly and adds a bright pop of color along with basil.
- GARLIC: Use as much or as little as you like.
- MUSHROOMS: Adds a delicious nutty flavor.
- PASTA: Penne pasta pairs perfectly with a creamy tomato sauce recipe.
Our family likes to serve pasta with freshly roasted vegetables that are seasoned, whether it be with herbs and spices or a sauce.
- Chicken: Parmesan crusted chicken breasts are highly recommended.
- Beef: Tips, or ground.
- Pork: Tenderloin, chops, or ground.
- Zoodles: Replace pasta with vegetable zoodles like zucchini or spaghetti squash noodles.
What are some of your favorite family dinners to make?
Mozzarella Penne Rosa Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- ½ cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 8 oz penne pasta
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil (or ½ tbsp dried basil)
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large pot with water and ½ tablespoon olive oil then place on stove top over medium high heat. Cook according to package directions.
- In a separate pan, Place oil in large skillet over medium low heat. Add sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms. Sun dried tomatoes will burn if left too long. Flip once then remove to cutting board and dice them; set aside.
- Stir in garlic. Saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and reduced heat to low.
- Stir in 24 oz marinara sauce, red pepper flakes and half of the sun dried tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour in cream. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese. Fold in fresh baby spinach, combining everything well. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in penne pasta and basil. Top with chopped fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes and shredded Parmesan cheese.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pinnacle Foods Group LLC. The opinions and texts are all mine.