The ultimate holiday cookies; these Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies are coated in chopped pecans. Each center is filled with caramel cream cheese. These make the perfect dessert for any holiday spread or winter gift.
It’s the countdown to Christmas and I still have a few more batches of cookies to bake for the holiday. In between making Turtle Fudge and Jingle Juice Punch for a Christmas party this weekend, I wanted to share this recipe for Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies. The cookies are a classic red velvet blend with a hint of chocolate. They are then rolled in egg whites and finely chopped pecans.
The center of this thumbprint cookie is actually a super simple caramel cream cheese filling made with powdered confectioners’ sugar and store bought caramel sauce. I used the caramel sauce for ice cream sundaes and it whipped up nicely.
If you’re like me and are still looking for holiday inspiration, these Cranberry Cocktail Meatballs are perfect to bring to a holiday party.
Today is a tough day. A few hours ago we put down our 14-year-old yellow lab, Nikki. She has always been a big part of my life and today she crossed the rainbow dog bridge in peace. I am heartbroken but I know that time will heal my soul.
I’ll always cherish the memories we shared. She loved long car rides and had a love for swimming. We used to have to coast her to shore in the water because she’d swim for hours and hours. She was one of a kind and loved cheese and peanut butter. I’ll miss her a lot and I’m thankful I got to get a part of her life. She lived inseparable from her sister Dakota. I know she is at peace and I’m thankful I got to say goodbye to her. I will always love her and her memories will live on.
Want other Christmas cookie recipes to bake for the holidays? Try these Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies or these extra rich and chewy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. I make these Turtle Thumbprint Cookies every year and they are always such a hit. A classic I grew up making with my mom is Chocolate Chip Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies.
Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies
For the Cookies
- 3/4 cup ( 1.5 sticks ) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered confectioners' icing sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 6-8 drop blue food coloring
For the Pecans
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons powdered confectioners' icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce such as ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a bowl fit with a mixer, beat butter and powdered sugar; about 3 minutes.Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.Beat egg in butter mixture. Add in vanilla extract. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring until incorporated. To darken the red, beat in 6-8 drops of blue food coloring. Beat until color is incorporated and no streaks remain. Working in batches, carefully beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients until ingredients are incorporated. To coat with pecans, whisk two eggs whites together.Place finely chopped pecans in a dish. Scoop a little more than 1/2 tablespoon dough and roll into a ball then roll into egg whites. Drop each ball into the pecans and roll to coat. Place on cookie sheet.Using the underside of a teaspoon, carefully indent each round ball, pressing down until circle is formed. Bake in oven for 12 minutes. Cookies will harden when cooled. Allow to cool then remove from baking sheet.To make the filling, beat softened cream cheese with 6 tablespoons with powdered confectioners' icing sugar until fully incorporated. Slowly beat in 6 tablespoons caramel sauce. Fill a piping or zip lock bag with cream cheese filling then cut off tip. Fill each cookie with filling. To set filling, bake in 300 degree F. oven for 3 minutes (this is optional).