Summer is my favorite time of the year to cook and bake with fresh strawberries. I can head to my local grocery store or farmers market and pick up fresh strawberries that are sweet and juicy. Everyone that knows me knows that my favorite cake of all time is a yellow cake with fresh strawberries and cream frosting. This is my go-to cake for all my entertaining parties and summer holidays.
CAKE DECORATING TIPS
I like to buy gold cake decorating boards. I’ve had a few experiences with white boards where the filling or cake left oil spots so I traditionally like to buy a bulk set of gold cake boards online. Feel free to use whatever you have in stock. I do suggest using a cake board to make it easier to transport the cake or to switch cake plates.
I always frost my cakes when they are at least room temperature. I don’t suggest icing this cream cake if the cake is still warm. If you do, the cream cheese frosting will just melt off the cake and it may damage the texture by picking up crumbs. Invest in a set of cake combs to texturize the outside layers of the cake. This way, you won’t have to worry about getting the frosting perfect.
To ensure that the cake stacks evenly, run a knife flat along the top horizontally to remove any uneven spaces. This way, you’ll get nice even layers when you stack them.
STRAWBERRY CREAM CAKE
This Strawberry Cream Cake is similar to Strawberry Shortcake. However, the texture of this cake is a lot lighter whereas my Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake is much denser. With this Strawberry Cake, you’re getting a cream cheese buttercream icing with mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, and whipped cream. It’s much sturdier than just whipped cream.
Also, this fresh strawberry layer cake uses store bought strawberry glaze. I always find this near the fresh produce if it’s not right next to the strawberries. Pick up a few containers of the strawberry glaze for a quick strawberry cake filling.
CLASSIC SUMMER DESSERT
A summer party wouldn’t be complete without a fresh fruit dessert like cake or cobbler. Beat the heat this summer and make this berry cream cake ahead of busy cookout or birthday party. Use up those juicy strawberries and stay cool with this heavily whipped cream cream cheese frosting.
Summertime is all about getting outside and enjoying the season with family and friends. Pick out your favorite fresh summer berries and add them to a decadent layer cake. It’s not summer without a classic strawberry cake like this whimsical dessert.
CELEBRATE WITH CAKE
The quintessential summer dessert starts with fresh strawberries and cream. Delicate yellow cake layers filled with sturdy cream cheese whipped cream frosting and strawberry glaze filling. Bring an elevated summer cake dessert to Memorial Day, Mother’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, and Labor Day. It’s even perfect for a summer birthday party or a whimsical wedding day.
Strawberry Cream Cake
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shortening, packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- ½ cup milk or half & half
- 3 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Frosting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 32 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 5-6 cups confectioners’ powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 (13.5) ounce containers strawberry glaze found by fresh strawberries ( I like Marzetti brand)
- 1 pound strawberries
- mint leaves to garnish
- Cake InstructionsPreheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 4 6-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Alternatively, cake batter can be equally divided and baked in twos or ones if you don’t have enough cake pan. Cut parchment paper circles to cover the bottom of cake pans then spray again with cooking spray.2. In a bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.3. With the mixer on low, slowly beat in chunks of shortening and butter. Turn mixer to medium and beat until mixture has small crumbs.4. In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract.5. With the mixer on low, slowly pour the mixture into dry ingredients. Turn mixer to medium and beat until incorporated; about 1 minute. Whip down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and stir to mix. 6. Evenly pour cake batter into the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake in oven 30-45 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.7. Allow cakes to cool then remove from cake pans and place on a cooling rack. Level cake tops with a long serrated knife; removing dome tops. The knife should be as parallel as possible. For the Frosting 1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and mascarpone until light and fluffy. Then add the salt, vanilla extract, almond extract, and confectioners’ sugar and mix to combine.2. In a separate bowl, whip together the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Make sure not to over mix because it will become grainy and change the texture and appearance of your frosting.3. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated.4. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate and take out 10 minutes to bring to room temperature before applying to the cake.5. For the strawberry filling, pour the 2 13.5 ounce containers in a bowl. Reserve the remaining 13.5-ounce container to dip the strawberries in later.Cake Assembly1. Place cake on cake board. This will make it easy to chill in the refrigerator instead of making room for an entire cake stand.2. Pipe or spread a thin layer of frosting on top of the cake layer. 3. Fill a pastry bag with strawberry glaze. In the center of the cake, make a small circle with the glaze. 4. Fill a pastry bag with cream frosting. Next, make a circle with the cream frosting around the glaze. Repeat with strawberry glaze and once more with cream frosting. 5. Repeat frosting/glaze technique with cake layers 2 and 3. Add the top cake layer.6. Roughly spread frosting all over the cake to create crumb coating. Refrigerate cake; 30 minutes. 7. Frost cake with frosting, using a cake spatula to evenly spread frosting. Use a cake comb to create the pattern on the cake.8. With any remaining frosting, pipe frosting around cake bottom. Use a medium frosting tip to pipe 6 dollops on top. 9. Dip 7 strawberries in the strawberry glaze. Place around cake top and one in the center. Garnish with mint leaves if desired.10. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional information is only an estimate and it’s accuracy is not guaranteed to be exact.
Save This Recipe To Your Favorites
Create an account on our website and save your favorite recipes. You’ll be able to access your favorite recipes on any device!