These GARLIC SESAME CHICKEN ZUCCHINI BOATS are packed with delicious flavor. Just 20 minutes to make a healthy chicken stuffed zucchini recipe with robust flavor. Made with my famous Garlic Sesame sauce featuring honey, soy sauce, and garlic.
A from-scratch Asian inspired recipe using chicken and zucchini. Skip Chinese takeout and make this healthier Asian recipe for dinner or meal prep.
You may already be a fan of the original Garlic Sesame Chicken or these healthy Garlic Sesame Chicken Lettuce Wraps and my favorite Garlic Sesame Egg Roll Bowls. What I love about pairing an outrageously delicious honey garlic sauce with ground chicken is not having to bread and fry each piece of chicken. Not only does skipping this cut down on time, but it’s healthier, too.
Stuffed Zucchini is easy to make. Once it roasts in the oven, it can be filled with protein like ground chicken, ground turkey, steak tips, shrimp, or pork. My favorite is to make it with ground chicken or turkey. Using this protein is super quick and easy to cook in a skillet. Pairing it with a delicious sauce or dressing adds an incredible amount of flavor and transforms an otherwise plain dish into a 5 star recipe the family will love.
GARLIC SESAME CHICKEN ZUCCHINI BOATS INGREDIENTS
■ ZUCCHINI: Use 4 fairly straight same size zucchinis. Cut them in half, carve out some of the centers, and roast in an oven with oil. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
■ CHICKEN: Adds protein. Pairs deliciously with the Asian sauce. Ground chicken or ground turkey works best. The chicken is a little bit harder to find than turkey so use whichever is more convenient.
■ HONEY: Sweetens the sauce. Can use (sugar-free) maple syrup, brown sugar, or granulated sugar.
■ SOY SAUCE: Classic condiment to make an Asian sauce. Adds a lot of salt and deep flavors. Pairs perfectly with most meat.
■ GARLIC: Brings out the savory flavor of the sauce by adding a pungent garlic flavor with a mild spicy taste.
■ KETCHUP: Adds a little tomato flavor to the sauce.
■ SEASONINGS: Rice vinegar for a mild tang. Sesame oil for flavor. Red pepper flakes for a spicy flavor.
■ GREEN ONIONS: Adds a softer onion flavor with a crunch. Can use chopped white onions, red onions, or shallots in place of green onions for more flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- Cut zucchini. Scoop out centers.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook ground chicken in skillet.
- Stir in garlic sesame sauce.
- Cook until sauce is thickened.
- Fill zucchini with ground chicken mixture.
- Top with green onions, and sesame seeds.
MAKE THIS RECIPE LIGHTER
Coming in at 180 calories per serving, this chicken stuffed zucchini recipe is ideal to make. It’s perfect for a light lunch and uses garden fresh zucchini in place of traditional rice. It can be made leaner, too.
■ Replace soy sauce with coconut aminos. More may need to be used to achieve flavoring.
■ Honey may be substituted with sugar free maple syrup.
GARLIC SESAME CHICKEN ZUCCHINI BOATS TIPS & QUESTIONS
How much of the centers do I scoop out? Leaving the edges of the zucchini intact, scoop around the rim removing the zucchini pulp.
What other recipes do you have that use the same garlic sesame sauce? You’ll want to try the original Garlic Sesame Chicken recipe. It uses chicken breasts cut into cubes and sauteed in a skillet with the sauce. For a quicker garlic sesame dish, try these Garlic Sesame Chicken Lettuce Cups. They get rave reviews on Pinterest. Another recipe with this classic Asian sauce features these Chicken Egg Roll Bowls. Next, try these Sticky Asian Ribs. Serve these Asian Meatballs as an appetizer or with rice.
Which side dishes would you recommend pairing with stuffed zucchini? Steamed white rice or Vegetable Fried Rice. A quick vegetable stir fry like this easy Lo Mein recipe. Other roasted vegetables like this Parmesan Brussels Sprouts or my favorite Ranch Broccoli recipe.
Garlic Sesame Chicken Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchini
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (or ground turkey)
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 7 green onions, diced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cut zucchini lenght wise. Scoop out the centers, discard.
- Brush with oil. Place face down in casserole dish so the peel is on the outside. I use 2 dishes for this to not crowd and sweat the zucchini.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, rice vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and minced garlic in a bowl. Mix well.
- In a large rimmed skillet set over medium heat, cook ground chicken. Break ground chicken up into little pieces using a spatula. Cook until no longer pink and all the liquid has cooked off; about 6-9 minutes.
- Stir in garlic sesame sauce into skillet. Toss the mixture together until chicken takes on the color of the sauce.
- Allow to simmer, cook until most of the liquid is thick and absorbed by the chicken.
- Stir in green onions and sesame seeds.
- Remove roasted zucchini from oven. Fill each shell with ground chicken mixture.