The most refreshing summer cocktail recipe featuring a classic Strawberry Daiquiri and Piña Colada tropical drink mixed in one glass. This Strawberry Piña Colada Lava Flow is made with fresh strawberries, coconut cream, pineapple, and rum.
Pina Coladas are my all-time favorite drink. I love the tropical flavors of coconut and pineapple. Combine that with a classic strawberry daiquiri, and you’ll feel like you’re sitting at a 5-star resort in Mexico or the Caribbean. If you’re a fan of real Pina Coladas and frozen daiquiris, you’ll love this fun, fruity and frozen Miami Vice cocktail recipe. If you love to entertain as I do, you’ll want to be sure to have this super easy expat cocktail recipe.
Coconut cream and pineapple juice make a delicious Pina Colada. Add a splash of rum and it’s my go-to pina colada recipe. What makes a pina colada more fun? Strawberry Daiquiri, of course! Made with fresh strawberries in syrup and rum, you too can make a quick daiquiri at home. To note, this Miami Vice drink is also called a “Lava Flow”. That’s because the strawberry rum rises to the top of the pina colada coconut cream, giving it a lava-like appearance. It’s all the rage at all-inclusive resorts, especially tropical beach resorts.
HOW TO MAKE A MIAMI VICE DRINK
- Blend strawberries, rum, soda then strain.
- Blend coconut cream and pineapple juice.
- Blend frozen ice and banana.
- Blend pineapple mixture and ice mixture until frothy.
- Pour strawberry daiquiri into bottom of glass.
- Top with pina colada.
- Serve with fresh pineapple.
This recipe is great on so many levels. It’s partially frozen and cold and I love to serve them during summer at an outdoor pool party which is also great because this cocktail recipe is called Lava Flow. The strawberry puree in this recipe is meant to rise above the cream of coconut and banana puree and appear like a volcano which is just perfect for a luau party.
LAVA FLOW MIAMI VICE INGREDIENTS
- STRAWBERRIES: Frozen strawberries in syrup for sweetness.
- COCONUT: A can of cream of coconut adds a rich coconut taste.
- PINEAPPLE: Pineapple juice pairs perfectly with rum, coconut, and strawberries.
- RUM: It’s not a cocktail without rum. Use your favorite white rum.
- ICE: Served chilled, this adult beverage needs plenty of ice.
- BANANA: Adds a smooth body to drink.
- LEMON LIME SODA: I like to add this for more flavor.
Host a Lūʻau Party
- Set the mood at a Hawaiian Luau party and ask guests to wear beach/aloha attire.
- Use hula grass skirts, coconut bras, silk leis, and tropical tiki decor.
- Decorate with palm tree leaves or decor, seashells, coconut shells, beach pails, and flip flop decor.
- Light coconut or beach scented candles at night and place tiki burning steaks in the ground.
- As an added bonus, buy a cheap $10 water fountain. Fill it with water and plug it in. You’ll feel like you’re at a tropical resort.
- Give the girls flowers to wear in their hair and a pair of flipflops.
- Set up a simple volleyball stage with an inflatable beach ball and have games like horseshoes and beanbag throws ready for everyone to play.
- Make a playlist of Hawaiian music to play during the luau.
- Host for special occasions like birthdays, family reunions, holiday parties, graduations, and a night with the girls.
Today, it goes by the catchy name of Miami Vice. It’s a popular tropical destination cocktail drink. Served partially frozen, sweet and fruity, this boozy rum drink will quickly become your newest obsession.
HOW TO SERVE LAVA FLOW/MIAMI VICE COCKTAIL
- Serve at a pool party.
- Make for a graduation party.
- Bring a pitcher to girls night.
- Pour into empty water bottles and bring them to the beach.
- Host a summer celebration.
- Make a pitcher and sip on it as an easy after-work special.
Serve this fruity cocktail with summer recipe classics like this Strawberry Shortcake Fluff Salad, Quick Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Classic Homemade Baked Beans, Loaded Baked Potato Salad, Strawberry Pretzel Salad, and this Cherry Fluff Salad.
Try my famous Strawberry Mimosas next for a classic girls brunch.
Strawberry Lava Flow Pina Colada
- 8 oz Malibu® Coconut Rum
- 12 oz frozen strawberries (semi thawed)
- ½ cup 7UP®
- 10 oz pineapple juice
- 8 oz cream of coconut
- 1 banana
- 2 cups crushed ice
- fresh pineapple wedges (garnish)
- Blend thawed strawberries in syrup, Malibu® Coconut Rum and 7UP® until smooth.
- Run through a fine mesh strainer; set aside. Rinse blender.
- Blend cream of coconut and pineapple juice until mixed well; set aside.
- Blend ice and banana.
- Add pineapple/coconut mixture to banana/ice mixture and blend until frothy and smooth; set aside.
- Fill glass ½ way up with strawberry daiquiri.
- Tilt glass and ever so gently and slowly pour in pina colada.
- Pina colada should drip down the side of the cup and into the bottom. Strawberry rum will rise to the top.
- Serve immedielty with pineapple wedges.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of DPSG Green Bottle at Safeway/Albertsons. The opinions and text are all mine.